Already a subscriber? Make sure to log into your account before viewing this content. You can access your account by hitting the “login” button on the top right corner. Still unable to see the content after signing in? Make sure your card on file is up-to-date.
Iran’s army commander announced a bounty on US service members Sunday, promising the equivalent of $30,000 to anyone who kills or captures one and double that if a woman does it.
Getting into it: Maj. Gen. Amir Hatami made the announcement through the state news agency IRNA, saying the idea came from the many Iranians who had asked how they could contribute to the war effort.
“Anyone who kills or captures and hands over an invading American military personnel will receive a reward equivalent to $30,000 or 5 billion tomans from the Islamic Republic of Iran’s Army,” Hatami said. “Courageous Iranian women who carry out such an action will receive double the reward.”
He also said the weapon used to kill an American would go into a museum Iran is planning, and he repeated the demand that US forces get out of the region. “Everyone should know that under no circumstances can American bases return to their previous state,” he said.
Hatami’s comments came days after Trump threatened to declare the Strait of Hormuz a US territory.
This all comes as more than 50,000 American troops are stationed across the Middle East, and bases in Bahrain, Kuwait, Jordan, and elsewhere have taken repeated Iranian fire since the war began Feb. 28 with joint US and Israeli strikes. Pentagon figures put the American death toll at 18, including three killed last month in a strike on Muwaffaq Salti Air Base in Jordan, with nearly 700 wounded. Every one of those deaths happened outside Iran.






