Skip to main content

Already a subscriber? Make sure to log into your account before viewing this content. You can access your account by hitting the “login” button on the top right corner. Still unable to see the content after signing in? Make sure your card on file is up-to-date.

Malaysia’s internet regulator has ordered TikTok to take action against what it called “grossly offensive and defamatory” AI-generated content targeting the country’s king, Sultan Ibrahim.

Getting into it: The Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) said Thursday that it had issued a statutory demand to TikTok after the platform failed to take “sufficient and timely action” against a fake account purporting to be linked to the king. The account, operating under a name resembling the monarch’s, allegedly used artificial intelligence to spread insulting material, including a video falsely claiming Sultan Ibrahim “favors eating pork” and a manipulated image superimposing his face onto an animal’s body.

That pork claim cuts deep, since the king is a Muslim head of state and Islam outright bans eating pork. The MCMC said the content was “grossly offensive, false, menacing and insulting in nature” and may breach Section 233 of the country’s Communications and Multimedia Act. The demand tells TikTok to clean things up right away, tighten how it screens posts, and submit a “formal explanation” for where its moderation fell short. The regulator said it moved only after deciding TikTok’s earlier responses to its warnings were “unsatisfactory.”

99917a8c105cad0b68a856b19cb51b42

The order is the latest move in a broad effort by Malaysian authorities under Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim to tighten oversight of social media platforms. Since the start of the year, major platforms with at least 8 million users in Malaysia (including TikTok, Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, YouTube, and Telegram) have been required to hold a license under the Act. The MCMC also briefly blocked access to the AI assistant Grok amid a global backlash over its use to generate non-consensual sexually explicit images.

Anwar’s detractors say his government has walked back its old promises on free speech, while officials counter that they’re only going after content that’s harmful or breaks the law.

This all comes as Malaysia gears up to enforce a law it passed last year barring anyone under 16 from using social media, with officials aiming to lock them out of new accounts by the end of June, putting it alongside countries like Australia, Indonesia, and France that have already moved to keep kids off these platforms.

JOIN THE MOVEMENT

Keep up to date with our latest videos, news and content