Already a subscriber? Make sure to log into your account before viewing this content. You can access your account by hitting the “login” button on the top right corner. Still unable to see the content after signing in? Make sure your card on file is up-to-date.
Israeli airstrikes on southern Lebanon killed at least 19 people on Tuesday, including women and children, according to Lebanon’s Health Ministry, in the latest deadly violence to flare up despite a fragile US-brokered ceasefire.
Getting into it: The deadliest of Tuesday’s strikes hit the village of Deir Qanoun al-Nahr in the coastal Tyre district, where it destroyed a house and killed 10 people (including three children and three women), with rescuers pulling bodies from the rubble later in the day. The ministry described that attack as a “massacre.” A separate strike on the southern city of Nabatieh left four dead and 10 wounded, and a third hit the nearby village of Kfar Sir, where five more were killed, one of them a woman.
Israel’s military stayed quiet on the individual strikes and the death count, though it said it had hit upward of 25 Hezbollah infrastructure sites across southern Lebanon in the 24 hours ending Tuesday afternoon. The latest round of fighting between Israel and the Iran-backed group Hezbollah began on March 2, when Hezbollah launched rockets across the border to avenge the US-Israeli attack that had killed Iran’s supreme leader two days earlier at the start of the Iran war. The death toll in Lebanon has now surpassed 3,000.
(Image shows some of the bodies of those killed, two of them covered in blankets bearing Hezbollah’s logo, likely indicating those two were deceased members of the group).
Hezbollah, for its part, said its fighters had clashed with Israeli troops attempting to advance toward the town of Haddatha and claimed to have destroyed an Israeli tank, while also reporting attacks on Israeli forces elsewhere in the south and on Iron Dome batteries positioned near the northern Israeli border. Israel’s military reported that another of its soldiers had been killed in combat on Tuesday, bringing its toll to 21 since the fighting began.
Hezbollah, for its part, said its fighters had clashed with Israeli troops attempting to advance toward the town of Haddatha and claimed to have destroyed an Israeli tank, while also reporting attacks on Israeli forces elsewhere in the south and on Iron Dome batteries positioned near the northern Israeli border. Israel’s military reported that another of its soldiers had been killed in combat on Tuesday, bringing its toll to 21 since the fighting began.






