More than 170 people were injured after intense clashes between Israeli riot police and Palestinians at the Al-Aqsa Mosque.
Here’s what the Israelis are saying:
1) Israeli forces entered the Al-Aqsa mosque after they claim Palestinians “collected stones, wooden planks, fireworks, and other large objects” and began attacking Israeli police and Jewish worshipers at the western wall.
2) Israeli police say officers entered the compound after their prayer was over.
3) In a statement, the Israeli foreign ministry said “Police were forced to enter the grounds to disperse the crowd and remove the stones and rocks, in order to prevent further violence. The State of Israel will take all necessary action in order to ensure freedom of worship, and will not tolerate violence aimed at thwarting religious freedom.”
Here’s what Palestinians are saying:
1) Palestinians claim Israeli riot police attacked worshipers on a holy day for Muslims at the Aqsa mosque.
2) Palestinians say the attacks were unprovoked and Israeli riot police stormed the grounds as the prayers were just beginning to start. Palestinians say over 400 people were illegally detained and Israeli riot police attacked many including women and children who were at the site to pray.
3) The Palestinian foreign ministry has condemned Israel’s actions at the mosque, saying it held Israel “fully and directly responsible for this crime and its consequences”.